The Main Argument of the Euthyphro
- The gods love holy actions. But why do they love them? [10d]
- The gods love holy actions because
these actions are holy. (Why
- Now, according to Euthyphro,
“holy” = “loved by the gods”. [10e-11a]
- Therefore, the gods love holy actions
because these actions are loved by the gods.
- But in general, if x is V-ed by y (where V is a
verb), then x is V-ed
by y because y V-s x. [10b]
- Hence, the holy actions are loved by
the gods because the gods love them.
- But we cannot have both A because of B and B because of A, so (4) and (6) are incompatible.