All texts are from the Revised Standard Version (Protestant Edition).
1. "Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD;and you shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your might." (Deuteronomy 6:4)
2. "You shall not take vengeance or bear any grudge against the sons of your own people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the LORD." (Leviticus 19:18)
3. "You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust." (Matthew 5:43-45)
4. 'And behold, a lawyer stood up to put him to the test, saying, "Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?" He said to him, "What is written in the law? How do you read?" And he answered, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind; and your neighbor as yourself." And he said to him, "You have answered right; do this, and you will live."
'But he, desiring to justify himself, said to Jesus, "And who is my neighbor?" Jesus replied, "A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and he fell among robbers, who stripped him and beat him, and departed, leaving him half dead. Now by chance a priest was going down that road; and when he saw him he passed by on the other side. So likewise a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. But a Samaritan, as he journeyed, came to where he was; and when he saw him, he had compassion, and went to him and bound up his wounds, pouring on oil and wine; then he set him on his own beast and brought him to an inn, and took care of him. And the next day he took out two denarii and gave them to the innkeeper, saying, ‘Take care of him; and whatever more you spend, I will repay you when I come back.’ 36 Which of these three, do you think, proved neighbor to the man who fell among the robbers?" He said, "The one who showed mercy on him." And Jesus said to him, "Go and do likewise."' (Luke 10:25-37)
5. 'Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.' (Romans 13:10)
6. 'Beloved, let us love one another; for love is of God, and he who loves is born of God and knows God. He who does not love does not know God; for God is love." (1 John 4:7-8)
7. 'By this we know love, that he laid down his life for us; and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.' (1 John 3:16)
8. 'By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and obey his commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome.' (1 John 5:2)
9. First Corinthians 13:
1 ¶If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.
2And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.
3If I give away all I have, and if I deliver my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing.
4 ¶Love is patient and kind; love is not jealous or boastful;
5it is not arrogant or rude. Love does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful;
6it does not rejoice at wrong, but rejoices in the right.
7Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
8 ¶Love never ends; as for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away.
9For our knowledge is imperfect and our prophecy is imperfect;
10but when the perfect comes, the imperfect will pass away.
11When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child; when I became a man, I gave up childish ways.
12For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall understand fully, even as I have been fully understood.
13So faith, hope, love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.